Thursday, November 14, 2013

Kitchen Cabinet Makeover-Part 2

Ready, set, finish!

I am so excited to be done with the cabinets. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted. After researching for months about the best way to do your own white cabinets, I can finally say the cabinets are done! Yes, of course I do have the countertops to still do too but the cabinets were what I was really scared about. Here are the final steps to finishing up your marvelous new cabinets with pretty reused hardware. 

Supplies:
  • Latex Enamel Paint- $25
  • Mini roller and pan- $3
  • Great quality brush- $14
  • Rustoleum spray paint of your choosing- $6
I let all the primer set for a day then we went over the cabinet frames with the white paint we got from Lowe's. We decided to get the enamel latex paint in ultra white. After talking to the guy at the paint desk about the options for oil-based paint or enamel latex, we concluded it was the better choice. The enamel latex has barely any/if no smell at all, easy to get off your hands, dries quickly, amazing coverage, and rock hard. After the first coat I was convinced that the man at Lowe's was an angel. I wasn't high off fumes like the oil-based primer and I saw my kitchen coming to life. 

We used the same technique as the primer; brush on paint then roll over gently with mini roller. I would also recommend trying to go with the grain as much as possible. By the time we finished, the first ones we did were already dry. We decided to do another coat because it looked spotty from the foam roller and plus another coat couldn't hurt. It turned out beautifully after the second coat, and I'm not just saying that because we were drinking wine at the same time. ;)

I have always loved the oil-rubbed bronze look of hardware against the stark white on cabinets. It's such a bold contrast that catches your eye. So it was a no brainer on what color to do the hardware in. Since I am on a tight tight budget for the kitchen then I am putting off buying new pulls for later *tear*. That won't stop me from making a trip down the beloved spray paint aisle at Lowe's though. After searching through the hundreds of colors on the shelf, I see it…Rustoleum Metallic oil rubbed bronze. My heart skipped a beat or two. It was like a light was spotlighting it with angels singing (or maybe the paint guy singing) behind me.
 While the cabinet doors were still curing from the primer, I set up a space to spray paint my hardware. I scrubbed all the nasty grime that had been setting in since the house was built in 1998 then patted dry and got to work. Pumpkins were my handy helpers today. They held the kraft paper down while I went crazy with the spray paint. This was my first time using the fancy spray trigger. I usually go old school with the tiny press down nozzle. This was sooooo much easier, plus it was the only style this color came in so I had no choice. It dried within minutes and I didn't have to be super careful with the hardware after it dried. I usually feel like I would mess them up, kind of like when you get a manicure and you awkwardly get your card out to pay because you don't want to mess up the nails.  Anywho, I was more than pleased with the look of the new hardware.
Ugly, mismatched brass & silver hardware...
Beautiful, perfect oil-rubbed bronze hardware…i took an after picture but it has mysteriously disappeared like most things in this house.

We did 2 coats of paint on the frames & doors, I definitely recommend doing it during the days so you can see everything better. Unfortunately, because of work and family I did not get to paint during the day so I did have to go back and fix little spots. The contrast between the white & bronze hardware is beautiful. It makes my kitchen feel bigger and brighter which is what I was going for so SCORE! I still have to put the bead board wallpaper on the side of the cabinets facing the sink, but I am tired of cabinets right now so I might do that in a few weeks. Also that patch where the old cabinet was above the fridge needs a coat of paint. Eye sore ALERT!
I LOVE THEM! 
Check out the before & first few steps here!

Next stop is the countertops. I am starting to get my handy tutorials and lists out for the butcherblock counters. They will go with my island well too. My favorite project is actually going to be my white plank wall that will be the main attraction in the kitchen. I have already moved a few things around to get everything ready. The hubby will actually be helping with this project. YAY! I feel like the hardest project is done, i hope. 

Coming soon to a kitchen near...me:
Plank wall with shelves
Butcherblock counters
Beadboard cabinet sides
Shelves above fridge

I will post the pictures and links that inspired me to get off my butt to makeover my kitchen. I won't stop there though, the laundry room & master bath are already being measured, planned, and drawen out.
Oh, and Raleigh found my camera charger yesterday so now I won't have scratchy, grainy pictures anymore. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment