Tuesday, November 5, 2013

DIY Kitchen Cabinet Makeover on a Budget-Part 1


Happy November (i know I'm a few days late)!

I'm so excited for November because for Thanksgiving me and Miss Raleigh are going on a road trip to Iowa to see my family. I haven't seen my grandparents and extended family in 4 years. It's crazy how the time flies. We are leaving at night so little Raleigh can sleep the whole way plus a lot less traffic going through cities…not that there is ever traffic in Iowa but maybe Illinois or Missouri.

Anywho, if any of you know me then you know that I am a bad procrastinator and easily forgetful. I have been hoarding pictures on Pinterest and my Iphone of white kitchen cabinets and butcher block counters. After months of reading tutorial after tutorial and making lots of lists (I kept losing them. Did I mention that I was forgetful?) I finally got off butt and got to work. Ignore the messy kitchen part please. Sometimes there aren't enough hours in the day.
First, as your taking the doors off, make sure you label the doors and frame so you know where they go when you're done.
No more cabinet doors! AHHH
I knew I needed a sander but thought I would try a stripper for the cabinet doors then sand the frames. I had heard good things about gel strippers but the one I got just did not do the trick unless you really glopped it on there, plus it took at least 30 minutes til you could touch it. It was very messy too. So on the next trip to Lowes to try something else, I got TuffStrip and it worked wonders! It's in an easy spray can. It says wait no more than 10 mins, I found it worked best around 7-8 minutes after applying. I sprayed all the doors and scraped off all the varnish. I had to get down to the wood so the paint wouldn't chip off. See the difference?
That was the easy part. Next came sanding the cabinet frames, which did take longer since you gotta workout from climbing counter to get to the top of the cabinets. Side Note: I recommend connecting your vacuum to the sander. It cuts down on the dust big time and also lets you see what you're doing. It also took a little longer since I had to work on these while Raleigh played in her room because someone is a nosey rosey. She is always wanting to get near the machine that is making the loud noise. Usually it's the opposite with kids, oh well. I have my future vacuumed.

Once everything was sanded down, we made our trip to Lowe's for primer and supplies. I researched on the best primer to use. Oil-based or Latex? I ended up choosing oil-based because of the hard finish. I didn't know how strong the smell would be, but WOW it is strong. Definitely open up all your windows and get some fans. A little goes a loooong way. I didn't even use 1/4 of our gallon.

Supplies for Priming:
  • 1-2 quarts Primer-$7.50
  • Mini roller & mini pan- $3
  • Good quality brush-$7

 It only took me about 1-1 1/2 hr to do my whole kitchen. I used the brush first and put alot of primer on then almost immediately went over it with the high density roller so it wouldn't get any lines. It dries fairly quickly, but I did hear from several sites to let the primer cure for at least 24 hrs. No problem here because I wanted to get the smell out before painting. 


Painting step is going to happen this week. Come back and check it out. I am also going to replace and/or spray paint the current hardware, still debating on that one. 

Update-Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment