Monday, November 25, 2013

Packing for Mommy & Toddler

Finally, the day is here! I leave for Iowa soon and I can't contain my excitement. I won't be pulling a Tom Cruise and be jumping on the couch or anything but I'm close ;). This will be Raleigh's first flight and first time meeting my family. I have heard some horrible baby plane stories and some awesome ones so we are hoping to come back with a thumbs up. It's just going to be me and her flying up and then driving back with my sister. So we are going to experience to types of travel and learn which is better for us.

My not so favorite part about trips is the packing. I think there are two kinds of people: the ones who love organizing, cleaning, and packing & the ones who do it because we have to, not because we enjoy it. Guess which one I am…here's a hint…my best friend helped me organize my new kitchen cabinets & my daughters dresser drawers…repeatedly. Whenever I pack for trips I always felt like I did good organizing my bag until I look at it 2 days into the trip and there's a massive pile of unfolded clothes that could hide a small child. This time I am determined to go all OCD on my suitcase so I won't be swamped with clothes. I have to pack for my mini and me though so now I will have double the amount to sift through. It has been a long time since I have flown so I had to catch up on the security guidelines, fluid restrictions, and now baby info.

My best friend Ashley is one of those organizing, cleaning, and packing people so she offered to help me pack. So here's how we packed for me and Raleigh to go on a 5 day trip.

First, make your list of needs for you:
  • Clothes
    • Dresses
    • Jeans/Pants
    • Tank Tops
    • Tops/Sweater
    • Undergarments/Socks
    • Coat/Jacket/Hoodie
    • Hat/Gloves/Scarf
    • Swimsuit
    • PJs
    • Boots/Sneakers/etc...
  • Toiletries
    • Toothbrush
    • Toothpaste
    • Deodorant
    • Shaver
    • Shampoo
    • Conditioner
    • Body wash/Soap
    • Perfume
    • Makeup
    • Hairbrush/Hair Accessories
    • Straightener/Curler
  • Miscellaneous
    • Camera/Charger/Memory Card
    • Phone/Charger
    • Lip Balm
    • Sunglasses
    • Book
    • Wallet
    • Credit/Debit Cards
    • ID
    • Paperwork if needed to travel
For toddler checked bag:
  • Clothes
    • Dress
    • Jeans/Pants
    • Tops/Onesie
    • Jacket
    • Socks
    • Shoes
    • Swimsuit/Swimmer diapers
  • Toiletries
    • Shampoo
    • Body Wash/Soap
    • Comb
    • Hair Accessories
For Carry-on Diaper Bag:
  • Diapers
  • Wipes
  • Kid Books
  • Toys (no noisy toys please)
  • Snacks (LOTS of snacks!)
  • Tylenol
  • Sippy Cup (no liquid in it until on flight!)
  • Paci
Snacks: Animal crackers, puffs, welchs fruit gummies, Graham Os cereal, Raisins,
more Cereal, mini crackers

I also put my phone charger, camera, and wallet in the diaper bag so if my bag gets lost of anything then I will have the necessities. 

I got some awesome advice to put Raleigh's outfits into separate Ziploc bags and label for each day. That way I will know what matches and where they are instead of throwing everything out of my bag while trying to find a pair of pants. I also put all her bows, socks, and any accessories in the bags too. Since they are all Ziploc bags then they slid in perfectly next to each other in the side pocket of the duffel which left the big section for me. I want to take as little luggage with me as possible so, aside from her diaper backpack, I am not bringing a carry on bag to go in the upper compartment.
I am so nervous about the flight and then the long wait period after we get there. My mother doesn't arrive until 5 hours after we get there. We also have to wait for her so we can all ride together in the rental car. I have devised a plan to find an empty terminal and let her have free reign and run off some energy then grab some late lunch.

We are off at 8:30 this morning. Wish us luck. Keep updated on our on Instagram & Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment