Thursday, October 31, 2013

Ghouls at Grassmere

Witches, Heroes, And Nemo…OH MY! Halloween is the time for dressing up like someone or something you love. Recently, I volunteered at the Grassmere Zoo in Nashville. At my job we get 2 days off work a year to volunteer somewhere so I got a day off work too…SCORE. Earlier this year I volunteered at the zoo for Ice Day which was awesome because they stuffed us with ice cream all day. I already knew that the other community service day I wanted to do was the Ghouls at Grassmere. I have heard such great things about it and who wouldn't love being at the zoo while little kids run around on sugar highs in adorable outfits while the parents chase them. There were some pretty awesome costumes but I had a few favorites. Nemo, Doc McStuffins & Lamby (2 sisters), and a storm trooper (StarWars nerd in me) won in my personal costume contest. I think I might've been bias though because I love Finding Nemo, Doc McStuffins, & Star Wars. I know I am a complicated person lol. 

Anyways, the zoo encourages it's volunteers to dress up too, so of course me and my friend Ashley took on this challenge. I debated for weeks on my costume this year & finally came up with something that I love & can do myself without having to buy a $50 costume that I'll only wear once. I decided on…*drumroll*...Katniss Everdeen. I liked the idea because of what she stands for in The Hunger Games. I have to long dark hair, pants, shirt, and boots. I borrowed the bow & bag from Ashley. I bought a mockingjay pin that was a key chain but we worked into a pin & a windbreaker for cheap since I couldn't find any brown faux leather jacket in my size. I scoured the stores and found nothing, nada, zip. It must be a hot item this year. 

After waiting in traffic for an hour & half, we finally made it to the zoo. We got posted at the 3D maze table where we just gave the kids and parents 3D glasses and got them back at the end. Not anything hard, but having to stand in 30 degree weather for 4 hrs straight with no chairs wasn't ideal. I can say they were super busy & they were trying to hand out hot water with dash of chocolate hot chocolate as fast as possible, but nothing seemed to help the numbness. I think I got a little loopy from the lack of feeling in my toes and fingertips. I wore 2 pairs of socks (only because 3 pairs wouldn't fit in my boot) and I still couldn't feel my feet. It was definitely a COLD COLD night and some kids were running around with shorts on or very little clothing! Come on parents…I mean really, are you sure you didn't get her outfit in the adult section of the Halloween store.

The night was a huge win for me, even though it took an hr to get my toes and fingers to normal. I got to see adorable kids chasing each other in funny costumes, Nemo shaking his booty fin about killed me, and we had a little dance party all our own when I got a little loopy. I was disappointed that only 1 kid recognized me. He looked at me after he came out the maze and yelled "You're Katniss!" I grinned and told him that he made my night. Thanks little Wolverine! Given I didn't have my bow on my because the zoo doesn't want us to have anything resembling a weapon, but hey wolverine caught on to the costume.

What do yal think about my costume?

Hope yal have a Happy Halloween!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment