Thursday, August 8, 2013

DIY Inexpensive No Sew Curtains


I love curtains! I think curtains & paint can change a room drastically. Unfortunately, curtains are so expensive. A good quality panel can run $15-$25...for one! That's crazy in my opinion, especially when you have 3 windows in one room. That could run you $125 for curtains in one room. Now I am a design on a dime kind of girl. If I can find a solution that looks just as good for half the price I'll jump for it.

So I've been trying to redo my living room in small bits. Throw pillows, bookshelves, wall art, paint, & curtains. I've gotten a few throw pillows gradually, only 1 bookshelf, and the paint is picked out. Since I work at 4am in the morning I search hgtv.com & other decorating sites & blogs for tips. I had seen several using duvet covers as curtains, but I was looking for less still.

I kicked myself when I realized that I could use sheets! Raleigh's room has a twin sheet with layered ruffles, courtesy of Auntie Ashley, that reminded me of a fabulous idea. Now Raleigh's twin sheet didn't  stretch far enough across to cover the whole window, so I was extra careful and measured my window & then got one bigger just to be sure. 1 trip to Walmart & I have a fabulous curtain set!

Walmart list:
       Full Flat Sheet $8.96
       Hem Tape $1.96 (5/8wide 10 ft long roll so you can use a long time)
       Curtain Clips $6.96 (already had)
The sheet was already folded in half so I just cut right up the middle long ways. I had the thick seam for the bottom since it was going to be on the floor I wanted it to be more secure. Heated up my iron & got to work. The Heat n Bond has instructions on the back, but its super simple even I could do it...and that's saying a lot ;)

After it was ironed out & hemmed up then it was time to clip them on. I love these because I don;t have to cut into the fabric or add anything else on like ribbon. Plus if I ever want to change them real quick then I just unclip. Odd thing is that the pack I had only came with 7 clips, which makes my 2 panels uneven on the rod. So when I get my next batch this weekend then I'll take one of of those to make it even out. It looks uneven til I get some so bare with me.
Before & after curtains. Such a change from a dark room to a lighter feel with only one curtain. I'm excited to see it done this weekend. Also you might have noticed that it is higher on the wall. It gives the illusion of a bigger window. I've seen it countless times on design shows. 

Hope you like my 2 pillow covers on that chair. Pattern & Solids so it's not too busy. Navy, white, & tan is the kind of my color scheme I'm working around. I love that I can change them on a whim though for the different seasons.
I hate that the windows in this house are not centered to the wall. It irritates me and the hubby. He won't shut up about it since he noticed again when I was putting these up.
 See! 3 on one side...4 on the other. Grrrr
I kept the pull backs just in case I want to use them, but most of the time I will just have them hang & let them blow in the wind air conditioning.
 This little munchkin only wanted to help. I had to lock myself in a room to iron these out. She kept banging on it yelling MAMA MAMA. lol
Such a sweet little turd. 

So that's my solution to those expensive curtains. These are perfect: they are long enough to go to the ceiling, washable, comes in different colors & sizes, & you can paint on them to add more color too. I'm thinking chevrons or stripes one day. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment