Monday, August 19, 2013

Repurposed Crates into Cabinets


Living in the country you fall in love with certain things & want to use them in different way & places: Like mason jars, baskets, & crates. If any of you know me then you know I get bored with decor & want to change it often. From repainting, new furniture, or just wall stuff being switched out. I love updating pieces that are boring or plain into something that's unique & instantly eye catching.

I went to Michael's in search of some unfinished crates...i know not Hobby Lobby! That's my usual go to place. I was so surprised at how many different sizes they had & at good prices plus a 40% coupon which is always a winner! I love me some coupons! 

After a long debate on sizes I finally chose 2  
I knew I already had some stain at the house that was intended for a vanity redo, but I haven't gotten that adventurous yet. I'm just terrified of ruining my vanity  waiting for the right time. Anyways, I love dark wood & would have it through my whole house if I could, so I chose some dark stain: Mona for Rust-o-leum. 

First, be prepared to get stain on you. My first stroke splattered satin all over my hand; by the end of the project it was even on my forehead! I just barely tipped the brush with stain & usually went with the grain, but that doesn't matter. After about 5 minutes on each side, wipe off the excess with a rag & make sure you go WITH THE GRAIN! You have to go with the grain or you will see the stain lines. 
I didn't want a glossy coat & it wasn't going to be outside so I didn't do the polyurethane coat like I usually do. I wanted it to look worn & aged so I didn't mind if the color wasn't perfect all over either. 

I let it dry, which only took about 15 minutes. To get that distressed, worn look I damaged it with hammer, chain, & screwdriver. Just put some dents & scratches in there. I can tell you that I am again in love. I knew I would like the color, but I can't get over seeing it on there. AMAZING! Makes me want to jump into that bathroom or kitchen.

I finally got some brackets for these and of course my hubby comes up with a better & cheaper way to mount them. NAILS! Why didn't i think of that? I'll say because it's simple & I complicate things lol. So we got them the level we wanted, put 2 nails in for each crate then just placed the nails between the top slits and perfection.
I didn't notice that run until after, but it adds a little to this so I don't mind :)
Those candles being lit definitely changed the feel of the bathroom; it went from boring & bland to cozy & relaxing. Perfect bath mood lighting ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment